BILL OF RIGHTS
cyclists have the right to ride the streets of our communities
and this right is formally articulated in the California Vehicle
cyclists are considered to be the “indicator species” of
a healthy community; and
cyclists are both environmental and traffic congestion solutions;
cyclists are, first and foremost, people - with all of the
rights and privileges that come from being members of this
great society; and
THEREFORE, WE THE CYCLING COMMUNITY, do hereby claim the
Cyclists have the right to travel safely and free of fear.
2) Cyclists have the right to equal access to our public
streets and to sufficient and significant road space.
3) Cyclists have the right to the full support of educated
4) Cyclists have the right to the full support of our judicial
system and the right to expect that those who endanger, injure
or kill cyclists be dealt with to the full extent of the law.
5) Cyclists have the right to routine accommodations in all
roadway projects and improvements.
6) Cyclists have the right to urban and roadway planning, development
and design that enable and support safe cycling.
7) Cyclists have the right to traffic signals, signage and
maintenance standards that enable and support safe cycling.
8) Cyclists have the right to be actively engaged as a constituent
group in the organization and administration of
9) Cyclists have the right to full access for themselves
and their bicycles on all mass transit with no
10) Cyclists have the right to end-of-trip amenities
that include safe and secure opportunities
to park their bicycles.
11) Cyclists have the right to be secure in
their persons and property, and be free from
search and seizure,
as guaranteed by the 4th Amendment.
12) Cyclists have the right to peaceably
assemble in the public space, as guaranteed
by the 1st
And further, we claim and assert these rights
by taking to the streets and riding our bicycles, all in an expression
of our inalienable right to ride!
“See you on the Streets!”
.pdf and distribute!
Bill of Rights, 2008
Bill of Rights by the
Writers Collective is licensed under a
Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at